Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Where have I been?


Wow, it's been a LONG time since I've posted! But I'm back, promise.

I've been very busy with my day job, which sometimes means dwelling on death in in a very different, often exhausting way. To confess:  I work as a writer/producer for non-fiction tv, and the majority of my projects have been true crime stories. Writing about other peoples' tragedies (and not always feeling good about it) has taken up all space in my psyche allotted to loss & death.

With my free time I escaped back into life - finding solace in friends and family, always aware of how precious and fleeting our time is here. Honestly, who wants to dwell on death when life offers so much?

Yet ... yet. The Modern Mourner blog has always been waiting for me. It's been quiet, polite, all the while knowing how much I love it. Helping others find meaningful (and beautiful!) ways to say goodbye is truly my life's work. It's where my heart lies.

Life is beautiful ... and Death should be too.

7 comments:

Old Fashion Halloween said...

Welcome back you were missed. My blog has suffered the same absence. Sometimes obligations takes us away from true loves.

Sister Shirley said...

Thank you so much OFH!

I love your blog as well, and hope you also find yourself soon resurrecting!

Old Fashion Halloween said...

Did you see MOMA is having an amazing mourning clothing exhibit in the fall?
http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-museum/press-room/exhibitions/2014/death-becomes-her
Sadly its on the wrong coast. My hope is an exhibition booklet will accompany the exhibit.

Sister Shirley said...

Wow, I definitely need to get there somehow! I'm also on the west coast. The Morbid Anatomy Museum has also just opened:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/greathomesanddestinations/its-mourning-in-america.html?_r=0

We need to represent West Coast Mourning!

Unknown said...

oh, yay! I followed your blog in hopes that you would update again and that your blog hadn't simply been abandoned. I look forward to more updates!

Unknown said...

So happy you're back, Shirley. My blog has been collecting dust itself, but I've come back to yours many times to "check in", and also because I LOVE your posts. So I was super thrilled to find you here again. Yip skippy. You've been missed.

Sister Shirley said...

Thank you so much you guys! I feel like it's asking too much to expect people to actually follow a blog about mourning and loss ... it's good to know there are like-minded people out there!